Thursday, September 10, 2015

Sister Style

Growing up, my family would talk about sister missionary clothes with a bit of playful disgust. We used to joke about how my oldest sister dressed like a missionary, and my second oldest sister would talk about how hideous their shoes were and how they looked like frumpy cats with no taste or style. In fact, my family kind of joked that sister missionaries were missionaries only because they couldn't get married (it suddenly makes so much sense why I never wanted to go on a mission). But obviously sister missionaries aren't only missionaries because they can't get married or because they don't have career goals (however I coincidently fit both of those descriptions...), it seems like every day there are more and more bummed RM's who whine about "all the pretty girls going on missions" and they have to wait an extra 18 months before they can get hitched.
Anyways! With such strict rules, it may be intimidating to try to find attractive outfits that fit all the criteria. I know for most of my life, I thought it would be impossible to look good as a sister missionary, but I am determined to make it happen! And I believe I have succeeded because these outfits are pretty fantastic (if I say so myself). Luckily, past the knee full skirts seem to have made a come back in a vintage chic way this past year, and there are plenty of sister missionaries who have paved the way before us and made excellent blogs with wonderful advice on how NOT to look like pilgrim. So let's do this! Let's change the old ways and create a new stereotype! The stereotype of classy, beautiful, well dressed young ladies with fabulous shoes! (But let's not look too good, we ARE missionaries after all *wink wink*)


RULE #1: Make sure every piece you bring matches AT LEAST 3 other items!!! I read this somewhere and I think it is a good rule to follow, optimally all of your clothes will mix and match but that may not always be possible . . . (because maybe you like ALL shades of pink so you have a bunch of pink that doesn't match each other . . . oops.)

RULE #2: Don't sacrifice your natural style! In other words, don't get items just because they are available. Your clothes should match what you wear regularly, just mission-i-fied. It might take a little extra effort, but I think it's worth it!

Skirts!

Neutrals:
#1: Modcloth Dark Blue Button Down Skirt
$44
Why I love it: It has pockets and belt loops! Its a flowy comfy material, and machine washable! Buttons don't come undone, elastic in the back.
#2: Modcloth Gray Skirt.
$54
Why I love it: Literally matches anything!! Just a little boring is all...

#3 Ann Taylor Tan Button Down
$85
Why I love it: I love using nude as a neutral! This skirt is amazing, it is super silky soft, has awesome deep pockets, belt loops, and the buttons don't come undone so I don't need to worry about accidents. It feels heavy so I feel like it will be good in the winter, but at the same time it seems breathable enough for summer. Very modern style.
Solids:
#4: Modcloth Mustard Yellow
$40
Why I love it: Belt loops and pockets! The waist band is stretchy so I can shrink or grow. Also have this same skirt in cranberry.
#5: New York & Co Fuchsia 
$32 (with coupons)
Why I love it: POCKETS!!! And it's such a fun color and shape! Definitely one of my favorites, I love that even though it's bright and pops, I can still mix it with a lot of different styles and colors.
Fun Patterns!
#6: Lulu's Super Awesome Floral Skirt
$30
Why I love it: It looks amazing! It has pockets hidden in there, fun to match it up, and a nice thick fabric.
#7: New York & Co Floral
$37 (with coupon)
Why I love it: Elastic and comfortable, kinda just a nice and easy skirt to wear. And it's pretty.
#8: The Loft Weird Triangle
$34 (with coupon)
Why I love it: Wild and fun! Love the draw string in case I gain or lose weight, very lightweight fabric will be great in summer!

Tops!

Button Downs:

#1: Express Cranberry and Green 
$Expensive.
Haha I think $40 each
Why I love it: Lightweight, not sheer like a lot of express stuff is. I like this shirt because it's fitted well, it's not too tight around my chest but it's not too loose everywhere else.
#2: Express Denim!
Why I love it: GOES WITH EVERYTHING!

#3: H&M Butterflies!
$10!
Why I love it: Um...Butterflies! I honestly hate H&M and had low expectations going in, but this single shirt completely changed my mind. It's so cute, fits well, and it was a spectacular price!

Tees:
#4: The Loft Pink (also in navy)
$20
Why I love it: The Loft has the most comfortable things on this planet. This picture does not do this shirt justice in the slightest, it looks really good on and I wear about once a week, and it's an amazing, beautiful color!
#5: Ann Taylor Wait, Am I Wearing A Cloud? Shirt.
$14 (on sale)
 Why I love it: Softest shirt I have ever worn.
#6: Marshalls Stripe shirt!
$15
Why I love it: Soft comfy and diverse! And stripes are just fun.


Sweaters:
#1: Talbots Striped Navy Collared Sweater
$67
Why I love it: My obsession with collared tops is probably a little unhealthy...and I looked everywhere and finally found one! So worth it! Good for chilly days that aren't completely freezing.
 #2: Talbots Gray Polka Dot Cardigan
$ 74
Why I love it: It's made with a super nice kind of wool that is extra soft! That's why it was a little pricy. But I love that it's fun! But still in neutral colors and easy to pair up.
 #3: The Loft Black Cardigan
$13! (on sale)
Why I love it: Just a nice light weight cardigan to go over anything! 


Shoes!
#1: Tan Crocs!
$40
Why I love it: WATER PROOF!! And comfy, good quality. Crocs are cool cause you can wash them in the dishwasher and they are made with a special antibacterial material (or something along those lines) they also have good arch support! I looked into crocs after watching a prepare to serve video and 3 girls suggested them. And who knew they came in cute styles?? I like that they are simple and neutral. The only complaint I have is the weird squeaky sound they make when I walk...
 #2: Naot Kirei Navy Mary Janes
$150+
Why I love it: Is this the cutest shoe I will ever wear? No. But it might be the most comfortable. Nato's are hand sewn, fine leather shoes made in Israel. I bought these at a special shoe store and they sprayed them with water proof stuff for free! I love that they are dark blue because it's an easy neutral to work with. Hopefully, they will save my feet and knees from being eternally damaged. And I'm just really proud of myself for finding a fantastic walking shoe that isn't completely hideous. Learn more here.
 #3: Kelly and Katie White Flats
$28
Why I love it: These are my cute shoes! They are comfy, but maybe not the most durable so I probably won't go tracting in these, but I like that they are white so I can wear them with pretty much anything! And they have a cute bow =)
#4: Pink Hunters!
$120
Why I love it: Pink. Hunters. Shall I go on? Completely water proof and hand made, nice and durable. For those extra rainy days in Oregon!


Bras!
Body by Victoria Demi Bra
$34 (with $10 off a bra coupon from mail, just sign up to their email list and they send them every month!)
Why I Am Absolutely In Love With Them: I got three of the same bra in three neutral colors (white, cream, nude). They are Victoria's Secret's Body by Victoria demi bra, and they are amazing! Seriously, it's like being hugged all day, by a soft teddy bear. If you are against Victoria's Secret for some reason (objectify women, too pricy, etc.) you may want to set those reasons aside just this one time for this one bra because IT IS THE BEST YOU WILL EVER FIND trust me I've looked, and this bra has never failed me in the last 2 years. Ask an employee to measure you and get the right size, don't guess because they have their own special little measuring system and fit makes a huge difference!


Outfits! 
Watch them all come together! These are just a few of the outfits you can make with the featured items. Oh the possibilities! (Pardon my messy room...)










Thanks for stopping by =)


1 comment:

  1. OMG she makes me hard, just jacked off to those pictures

    ReplyDelete